Monday, September 21, 2015

Monday, September 21st - We have a nice long weekend - Eid Mubarak

By the time I write this, our workweek is over (2 days) while most of our Ontario colleagues haven't even started their workweek. It is Eid in Muslim countries, which means we have a holiday from Tuesday to Saturday - back to work on Sunday. We kind of like these two day workweek. Our past week was pretty typical; not much happening, except for me moving my office from building 7 to building 10 on Thursday, then getting in trouble with my principal because I didn't have her authorisation to do that (the VP had told me I had to move my office by the end of the week), only to find out this Sunday morning that most of my stuff had been brought back to my old office. Lack of communication, you say? Ya.

The weekend was nice - went out to the Irish Pub on Thursday, did a bit of shopping on Friday and walked on the beach, and went in the water, on Saturday. The water temperature must be at about 88 - 90 degrees F; it is so warm. We had lunch at Dolphin Village (there are no dolphins!), a gated community with a nice little restaurant by the pool in their complex. It was nice to discover another place that meets all of our criterias for lunch or dinner!!

We had thought of travelling somewhere for Eid, but there are still so many things we want to do in Oman. Our summer was pretty hectic so we decided that we would just take it easy and do whatever we wished around here. So Tuesday, we are driving to Duqm, a small town with beautiful beaches, about 600 km south west of Muscat. We'll check out the sites as we drive along, maybe even sleep on a beach one night as all beaches are public beaches and you can camp on them anywhere, anytime (we might also end up in a hotel!). It should be fun to discover this beautiful country. There should be more pictures in my next blog next weekend!

Jacqui's Google page on her birthday - so cool

The mountains, seen from the beach

The beach at high tide - not the same as before - the sand is soft and harder to walk on

No comments:

Post a Comment