Saturday, October 17, 2015

Friday, October 16th - Attending an Omani wedding

Note: Jacqui is writing this one!

So glad to have had the opportunity to attend an Omani wedding.  One of my students was the flower girl in her Aunty’s wedding and she invited me.  


Since it is a woman only event, Richard couldn’t join me, so I asked my friend Marisa, another yr 4 teacher to come along!  We had fun shopping for a dress for her. I wore the dress I wore at Julie’s wedding (I was really hoping to have the chance to attend an Omani wedding, so I figured I’d be prepared).  I went all out…hair, make-up…even fake eyelashes!  When in Rome ….







Richard and I had staked out the location beforehand in the afternoon.   We’ve learned…  Marisa and another friend joined us for a pre-drink (ha ha) at our apartment before leaving for the hall, where we arrived at around 7:30 pm.  The reception at 7, but we knew that in Oman … everything always starts later.  We met some of my student’s family and we sat and chatted.  There were many trays of sweets that were offered, as well as Arabic tea and coffee.  We ended up sitting with the Mom of another of my students, as well as one of the secretaries from school.  There was music and dancing.  At around 9:30 pm, the bride accompanied by her sister and 6 flower girls, carefully walked down the huge flight of stairs.  Her dress was amazing!!!  Lots of cheering.  She made it to her chair on the stage and was photographed and filmed. 





After that, all the guests served themselves to a yummy buffet dinner…some Omani dishes and rice, hummus, Arabic bread, salad …. lots of sweets!  Throughout the meal, the music and dancing continued.  There was a short video of the bride and groom and a few songs and speeches by the family.  At around 10:45 pm, all of the women put their abayas and hijabs on, because the groom was arriving soon. All the beautiful dresses and up-dos had to be covered.  The groom arrived with his father and his brothers, dressed in the traditional Dishdasha and Kuma.  Then the photos with the bride and groom and family continued and that was it!   By 11pm, half of the guests had left and the rest were on their way out.  It was an enjoyable event and I learned lots.  The Omani people are so welcoming, Marisa and I were greeted by so many relatives…


No comments:

Post a Comment