Saturday, December 21, 2013

Friday, December 20th - We're not going back in January

Well here's today's news. Jacqui and I have been talking about it for the last few weeks. We will be staying in Kuwait after the holidays. And it's all my fault. When she came back early December, Jacqui was sure that she was coming back for a month, and that she'd return to Canada on January 7th. I also have a flight booked for that day. Problem is I don't want to go back. I enjoy the adventure I'm on, and there is a purpose to my life here; I am being useful to society while at work. If I go back, I probably won't bother finding a job as we are planning on teaching somewhere else next year. So what would I do everyday, for 6 months? Stay home and go nuts? No thank you. Jacqui couldn't handle it in September because she was sick. She is now feeling fine, and willing to give it another go as we do not want to live apart from each other like we did in the fall for five weeks. So she's contacted a few schools in the last week, got some job interviews and three offers (for now). She has decided to accept a position teaching at the American Academy for Girls, having a grade 1 in an all-girls school. Class sizes are pretty small and the kids' behaviour will be very different than what she had at CBS as all the little "kings" are not there. Girl's behaviour is so different than boys' around here, as they don't have that sense of entitlement. Jacqui's expectations are also lower than what they were when she came in at the end of August, and she knows now what to expect (sort of!). I really believe (she does too) that this is a very good match for her. We'll see what happens. If things work out, great! If they don't, there are daily flights going back to Canada; we'll deal with that if we get there.

So now, in the meantime, we are waiting for our kids to get here for Christmas. We think about our friends back home a lot, and really miss the whole "buildup" to Christmas.

I probably will have another entry on this blog before Christmas, but just in case I don't or you don't have time to read it, Jacqui and I will take this occasion to wish you and your family all the best during this festive season. Enjoy every minute of it, especially the time spent with family and friends. It's when you're away that you realize how much each and everyone means to you.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

Richard and Jacqui.

2 comments:

  1. Richard, it would have been really nice to have you both back in Canada, but it's obvious that you really enjoy your new life in Kuwait. Have a wonderful Christmas and and enjoy your safari with the whole family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyeux Noel Jacqui and Richard. Wishing you, Julie, Nick & Vince a great holiday and celebration. That is great news for both you, Richard, and Jacqui!
    Lorraine, Peter, Lucas and Patrick

    ReplyDelete